Latham and Cheatham Hall Facilities
Please see the gallery below to view the analytical facilities available to the Forest Soils and Hydrology Lab, including three separate laboratories (>2,000 sq. ft.) in the Latham Hall laboratory complex. Additional facilities, including the isotope ratio mass spectrometry (IRMS) lab (~600 sq. ft.) are available in the adjacent Cheatham Hall.
Other resources include centrifuges, drying ovens, walk-in refrigerators and freezers, growth chambers, greenhouses, field and bench-top meters (e.g., pH, conductivity, dissolved oxygen), balances, hot plates, digest blocks, fume hoods, glassware, reagents, personal protective equipment, etc.). Departmental collaborators also routinely provide access to laboratory- and field-deployable infrared gas analyzers (IRGA) and water autosamplers.
The department is well equipped with field tools (e.g., GPS units, shovels, augers, bulk density hammers) and maintains a facility to manufacture specialized equipment as needed. Field campaigns are further supported by four-wheel drive vehicles parked on-site and reserved for departmental personnel. Sample processing and preparation facilities are also available on-campus in a separate facility (~1,000 sq. ft.) complete with sieves, grinders, and a walk-in drying oven.
Major analytical equipment (pictured below) includes:
- Vista-MPX CCD Simultaneous ICP-OES
- Shimadzu Nexis GC-2030 Gas Chromatograph
- Shimadzu GC-2010 Gas Chromatograph
- Mars 6 Microwave Digestion System
- Elementar Vario Max CNS Elemental Analyzer
- IsoPrime 100 Mass Spectrometer and Vario MICRO Cube Elemental Analyzer
- Shimadzu TOC/TON Analyzer
- Auto Analyzer III High Resolution Digital Colorimeter
- TRAACS 2000 Auto Analyzer
- Radiometer Titralab 865 Titrator
- Elementar LiquiTOC
- Perkin Elmer Microplate Scintillation & Luminescence Counter
- Dionex Ion Chromatgraph